[ANPPOM-L] September issue of Black Grooves

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Sex Set 5 17:21:59 BRT 2008

The September issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at
www.blackgrooves.org.

This month we're featuring the new cast recording of the Tony nominated
Black rock musical Passing Strange. Several historical reissue compilations
are covered, including Stride Piano Duets Live in Toronto, 1966 with Willie
"The Lion" Smith and Don Ewell (Delmark), Ain't Gonna Settle Down: The
Pioneering Blues of Mary Stafford and Edith Wilson (Archeophone), and Rufus
Thomas: His R&B Recordings, 1949-1956 (Bear Family).  We also have reviews
of the latest releases from hip hop artist NAS, blues-rock guitarist Eric
Gales, R&B singer Lyfe Jennings, British pop-rock artist Lightspeed
Champion, and funk-rock legend Lonnie Jordan.  Our classical selection of
the month is Singin' Sepia (Bridge) featuring the music of Cuban-born
composer Tania León.  Wrapping us this issue is an overview of The Lost
Supreme: The Life of Dreamgirl Florence Ballard, a new biography by Peter
Benjaminson.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Head of Collections

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

2805 E. 10th, Suite 180

Bloomington, IN 47408

812-855-7530