[Lees-l] Fwd: HIGHER-EDUCATION-CLOSE-UP Digest - 14 May 2020 to 15 May 2020 (#2020-32)

Ana Maria Alves Carneiro da Silva anamacs em unicamp.br
Qua Maio 20 12:00:25 -03 2020

Chamada de capítulos de livro sobre Global Higher Education

Date:    Fri, 15 May 2020 12:46:39 +0100
From:    Jeroen Huisman <jeroen.huisman em UGENT.BE>
Subject: Call for contributions

Dear colleague,

We are soliciting contributions to our book A research agenda for global
higher education, which will appear in the Edward Elgar Research Agendas
series.

In this series, contributing authors are “given the space to explore their
subject in provocative ways, and map out the potential directions of
travel. They are relevant but also visionary. Forward-looking and
innovative”. More specifically, this book will aim to advance higher
education research globally, be relevant for and attract a global
readership. We are thus seeking contributions from around the world, which
will be thematic and globally relevant rather than country-specific.

“Global Higher Education” will not be limited to its global features,
globalization, internationalization, or transnational higher education. The
book will rather aim to cover the field of higher education research at
large, including work focusing on micro (teaching and learning), meso
(organizational), and macro (system) levels, by attracting contributions
from a broad range of disciplines, including interdisciplinary approaches.

As a forward looking agenda, the book will have to inspire research for a
good number of years, while paying specific attention to the current
dramatically changing global context. To offer an obvious example: the
Corona / Covid-19 pandemic seems to be having a major but so far mostly
unknown impact on societies and economies worldwide. What does this imply
for the higher education research agenda in terms of emerging and new
research questions?  And to what extent is it challenging our main
assumptions?

We encourage authors to seize this opportunity of unprecedented change to
rethink existing paradigms, consider retesting existing theories against a
completely new set of data from this unexpected “global experiment”.
Authors may thus wish to shed a new light on themes like: inequality,
post-massification, technology push, flexibility and the effectiveness of
online and on-campus teaching and learning, international academic mobility
and cooperation, open science, STEM—SSH connection, or the
research-teaching nexus. We are open to any other suggestions.

Contributions – we aim for 10-12 chapters of max 6,000 words, which are
invited to address the following template:
•       An argument / rationale for the relevance of the chosen theme
(topic / focus) with a particular view to the currently changing global
context.
•       An explicit account of the disciplinary or interdisciplinary
perspective chosen
•       A comprehensive but compact state of the art overview of research
undertaken and critical assessment in terms of its empirical, theoretical
and
        methodological aspects.
•       Resulting in proposals: what does this imply for the research
agenda in terms of emerging and new research questions, what needs or can be
        done, and how (theories and methods, including replication)?
•       Reflection: to what extent, why and how, are our main assumptions
being challenged, are we urged to change paradigms, seek new
(inter)disciplinary approaches?

If you are interested, please submit a chapter proposal of 500-1000 words
to both editors: Marijk van der Wende (m.c.vanderwende em uu.nl) and Jeroen
Huisman (Jeroen.huisman em ugent.be) before 1 August 2020. We will get back to
selected authors soon after. Draft chapters are to be submitted in January
2021, these drafts will be reviewed and final chapters should be in by
March 2021.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to contact
us.

Marijk van der Wende, Utrecht University, the Netherlands
Jeroen Huisman, Ghent University, Belgium