[SECURITY-L] NIST release of NIST Interagency Report (NISTIR) 7007 - An Overview of Issues in Testing Intrusion Detection Systems

Daniela Regina Barbetti Silva daniela em ccuec.unicamp.br
Qua Jul 2 13:58:26 -03 2003

From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick.oreilly em nist.gov>
To: Multiple recipients of list <compsecpubs em nist.gov>
Subject: NIST release of NIST Interagency Report (NISTIR) 7007 - An Overview of Issues in Testing Intrusion Detection Systems
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:05:37 -0400 (EDT)

Announcing the release of NIST Computer Security Publication :
NIST Inter-agency Report (NISTIR) 7007: An Overview of Issues in Testing
Intrusion Detection Systems

While intrusion detection systems are becoming ubiquitous defenses in
today's networks, currently we have no comprehensive and scientifically
rigorous methodology to test the effectiveness of these systems. This paper
explores the types of performance measurements that are desired and that
have been used in the past. We review many past evaluations that have been
designed to assess these metrics. We also discuss the hurdles that have
blocked successful measurements in this area and present suggestions for
research directed toward improving our measurement capabilities.

To view or download this document please visit the NISTIR page on the
Computer Security Resource Center (CSRC) website:
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistir/

----- End forwarded message -----