[ANPPOM-L] CFP: Music and the Public Sphere

Carlos Palombini palombini em terra.com.br
Qua Jan 4 12:17:47 BRST 2006

Call For Papers:

Music and the Public Sphere
A Conference Presented by Echo: a Music-Centered Journal
May 12 & 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

It has often been noticed that discourse by and about public
intellectuals in the post-war era has been dominated by literary
critics and social scientists. Those who write about music—critics,
musicologists, ethnomusicologists, and many others—have been much  more
reticent to participate in broader debates within the public  sphere.
The relegation of timely and current discourse about music to  the realm
of journalism has in many ways aided this split, even as  the decline of
such journalism in the nation’s press has threatened  to destroy such
discourse altogether. Does music, and writing about  music, matter to
affairs of state? To cultural politics? To public  policy?

We invite proposals for papers which address any aspect of the
relationship between music, writing about music, and the public  sphere.
Possible subject areas might include music and politics;  criticism and
journalism; cultural policy; music and mass media;  performance
practice; politics within the academy; music and current  events. We
also encourage papers which deal with any of these topics  historically.

Proposals should be between 250 and 500 words. The presentations
themselves should not exceed twenty minutes in length, including any
musical examples. We also welcome proposals for special sessions that
make use of innovative technology, such as podcasting or web
conferencing. Submissions may be emailed as Microsoft Word  attachments
to echoconf em ucla.edu. In addition to the abstract, please  provide us
with your name, institutional affiliation (if any), and  contact
information. Questions may be addressed to Jessica Bissett
(jbissett em ucla.edu) or Philip Gentry (pgentry em ucla.edu).

Submissions are due February 1, 2006.

Phil Gentry
pgentry em ucla.edu

--