[ANPPOM-L] CFP: New Music and the Musical Canon

Carlos Palombini palombini em terra.com.br
Ter Set 12 00:26:33 BRT 2006

New Music and the Musical Canon:
A Symposium on Composition in the Twenty-first Century

26-30 November, 2007
Hong Kong

CALL FOR PAPERS

In a postmodern age which celebrates cultural plurality, and which assumes,
as a given, the ideological character of musical discourse, our received
notions of the musical canon have increasingly been called into question.
Today it no longer seems viable to speak of a single canon that epitomises
universal human and artistic experiences.  Instead, we refer to the
political and social connections that a musical work possesses, to the
different aesthetic values that it embodies, and to the multiplicity of
meanings that it can support during the various stages of composition and
reception.

Yet the concept of canon has stood up to the challenges of cultural
democracy.  At the same time that we accept the co-existence of diverse
compositional styles and repertoires, a sense of hierarchy remains
stubbornly in place.  We continue to privilege certain composers and works
over others – though we may disagree as to who or which these should be –
and we each take our own stands on their significance and greatness.  We may
have undergone conversions and apostasies, but nevertheless cannot seem to
retreat from the act of canonization.

This Symposium seeks to explore the notion of musical canons in the 21st
century in the context of historiography, reception, hermeneutics, cultural
identity, aesthetics, and cross-cultural studies.  As part of the 2007 World
Music Days (23 November to 2 December, 2007) jointly hosted by the
International Society of Contemporary Music (ISCM) and the Asian Composers
League (ACL), the Symposium will be a forum for constructive discussion
among scholars and composers, and will especially promote interaction
between different cultural perspectives, between theory and practice, and
between different generations of composers and scholars.

The Symposium programme committee invites proposals for papers, which will
be limited to 30 minutes.  Interested applicants should submit an abstract
of 500 words or less accompanied by a short curriculum vitae or biography.
The symposium will be conducted in English.

Proposals should be sent (preferably by email) to:

Symposium Programme Committee
2007 ISCM-ACL World Music Days, Hong Kong
c/o RhapsoArts Management Ltd
Room 1103, Albion Plaza
2-6 Granville Road
Tsimshatsui, Kowloon
HONG KONG

Tel: (852) 2722-1650; Fax: (852) 2724-1960; Email: info em rhapsoarts.com

Deadline for receipt of proposals:          30 November 2006
Announcement of Programme:                  07 January 2007

Programme Committee: Giorgio Biancorosso (University of Hong Kong), Chan
Hing-yan (University of Hong Kong), Mak Su-yin (The Hong Kong Academy for
Performing Arts), Michael McClellan (The Chinese University of Hong Kong),
Yang Hon-lun (Hong Kong Baptist University), Yu Siu-wah (The Chinese
University of Hong Kong).

----------
Su Yin Mak
Head of Academic Studies
School of Music
The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts
1 Gloucester Road
Wanchai
Hong Kong

Tel: (852) 2584 8788 (direct line)