[ANPPOM-L] CFP: Music, Conflict and the Politics of Identity

carlos palombini palombini em terra.com.br
Ter Fev 27 09:03:30 BRT 2007

Call For Proposals
Music, Conflict and the Politics of Identity
Edited by Susan Fast and Kip Pegley

Judith Butler recently wrote that "[t]o be injured means that one has
the chance to reflect upon injury, to find out the mechanisms of its
distribution, to find out who else suffers from permeable borders,
unexpected violence, dispossession, and fear, and in what ways"
(2004).  We invite submissions for a volume of essays that examines
the role of music in geopolitical conflict, both historical and
contemporary, including wars, revolutions, protests, genocides, and
the post 9/11 "war on terror." We are interested in how music may
direct and contribute to conflict and how individuals or groups
utilize it when coping with, responding to, and/or resolving
geopolitical conflict and the injury suffered therefrom.  We seek
essays that engage with issues related to identity, including
individual, group, national, or transnational identity, as well as
topics that explore musical nostalgia, cultural memory, fear,
precarity and trauma.  All perspectives and methodologies are welcome;
we hope to include essays that examine music and conflict vis-a-vis
live performance, institutions (war museums, war memorials etc.),
film, television, radio, and the Internet. We wish to include authors
and topics from a diverse range of ethnic, cultural and national
viewpoints. Abstracts of 500 words should be sent to Susan Fast at
fastfs at mcmaster.ca <http://mcmaster.ca> by May 31, 2007. Complete
essays by December 2007.
--
cp