[ANPPOM-L] CFP: musicology and recordings

palombini palombini em terra.com.br
Qua Jan 3 14:42:18 BRST 2007

Apologies for cross-postings

CHARM/RMA ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON 'MUSICOLOGY AND RECORDINGS' (ROYAL
HOLLOWAY, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON, 13-15 SEPTEMBER 2007)

The 2007 Royal Musical Association Annual Conference will be hosted by
CHARM (the AHRC Research Centre for the History and Analysis of Recorded
Music), at the Egham campus of Royal Holloway, University of London.

The conference theme is 'Musicology and recordings', and we intend this
in the broadest possible sense. For most people in today's world 'music'
means 'recorded music': through records, broadcasts, and the internet,
technologies of reproduction have not only led to the emergence of new
musical genres but also transformed performance and composition in
existing genres, as well as fundamentally reshaping the production,
dissemination, consumption, and business of music. At the same time the
use of recordings has become an increasingly significant part of both
research into and the teaching of all kinds of music. We hope that
proposals will reflect work being carried out in the widest variety of
musical traditions, cultural contexts, or methodological approaches. The
keynote lecture will be given by Robert Philip (Open University).

Submissions are invited for individual papers (30 minutes including
discussion), themed sessions (three/four speakers, 90/120 minutes), and
round tables (90/120 minutes). Abstracts (200 words for individual
papers, or 600 words submitted by the proposed convenor for sessions and
roundtables) should be emailed no later than ***31 JANUARY 2007*** to
the CHARM Coordinator, Carol Chan (carol.chan em rhul.ac.uk). The programme
committee will make a final decision on abstracts by 1 March 2007, and
contributors will be notified as soon as possible thereafter.

Further information will be posted on the conference website
(http://www.charm.rhul.ac.uk/content/events/2007conference.html) as it
becomes available. For other queries, please contact Carol Chan in the
first instance.

To find out more about CHARM, please visit our website
(www.charm.rhul.ac.uk) and see the 2006 CHARM newsletter available at:
http://www.charm.rhul.ac.uk/content/resources/2006newsletter.pdf

--
cp