[ANPPOM-Lista] John Covach's History of Rock Coursera MOOC

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Qui Abr 11 14:13:32 BRT 2013

You may have seen the news regarding the new Institute for Popular Music at
Eastman
(chronicle.com/article/Rocker-Academic-Leads-New/136843/?cid=at<http://chronicle.com/article/Rocker-Academic-Leads-New/136843/?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en><http://chronicle.com/article/Rocker-Academic-Leads-New/136843/?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en>
)
led by John Covach. He's teaching a Coursera MOOC this spring on the
History of
Rock. He anticipates some 20,000 registrants, perhaps 10% of which
will complete the class.

The course begins May 13. Here is the link:
https://www.coursera.org/course/historyofrock1

It's open to anyone, for free, so feel free to sign up for it. It's
the first music history MOOC offering that I'm aware of; if I'm wrong
about this, I'd be grateful for news of others that are being taught
or are in planning stages.

The whole MOOC phenomenon is interesting to witness, and it'll
naturally have an impact on those who teach classes that are conducive
to the format, such as music appreciation. I'd be interested in
hearing from those who have experience in this regard.

carlos palombini
ufmg.academia.edu/CarlosPalombini<http://www.researcherid.com/rid/F-7345-2011>