[ANPPOM-Lista] CFP 44th IASA Annual Conference and 10th BAAC Annual Conference | Open Doors: New Ideas, New Technologies

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Seg Jan 7 15:59:29 BRST 2013

Call for Presentations
We are accepting proposals for presentations, papers and panels for the
joint, 44th IASA Annual Conference and 10th BAAC Annual Conference

Vilnius, Lithuania, Sunday 6 – Thursday 10 October 2013
*** deadline for submissions: 31st January, 2013 ***
Theme: Open Doors: New Ideas, New Technologies
http://2013.iasa-web.org/

The 2013 conference is exploring the tools, the people, legislation, ideas
and technologies that enables constant, open and unmediated access, and
discussing the consequences of such openness on the collections, the
collection owners and the managers.  What does Access for All mean to our
mission, to the curators and carers for the world’s sound and audiovisual
heritage?

Open Doors: New Ideas, New Technologies, the 2013 conference theme, is
pertinent to today's environment of information availability, where
openness is the expectation. But does “Open Doors” mean unlimited entry
rights? Is that appropriate when we offer open access? Is complete openness
always ethical, or even legal, or are constraints to access just a limit on
the individual’s right to information?  Are archivists gatekeepers, or are
they facilitators?  Does ultimate responsibility lie with the collections
owners, users or managers?  How do we manage a variety of access conditions
from closed to open?  Can an online description be a breach of confidence?
 Are the users’ rights paramount?

No matter what kind of Openness we need for our particular archive,
archivists must manage access.  Is technology the solution to the growing
management problem, or does technology create a new burden?  In the face of
innovative technology, new possibilities and ever looming budgetary
constraints, we need to be open to new ideas and gain knowledge to evaluate
new solutions for our collections and archives.

Let’s all head to Lithuania… with an Open mind!

This conference aims to investigate and discuss the issues pertaining to
Open Doors including the followingsubthemes:
-         Open Rights - the legal aspects of openness in archives
-         Open Source - what is open source, is it just about software,
what are its advantages for archives, and how do we implement open source
models and applications most effectively?
-         Open Knowledge - exploring all aspects of open information, its
potential, and its impact upon archives
-         Open Archives - is openness the future of all archives? How open
is open?
-         Open Collections - how does openness impact collections and their
development?
-         Openness and Discovery - the implications of openness on search
and research
-         Open Pockets - the bottom line.

The IASA and the BAAC invite proposals for presentations, posters and panel
discussions for our joint conference. The closing date for submissions is
31 January 2013. All proposals must be accompanied by an abstract (maximum
250 words). Offers of presentations should be submitted online via the
presentation submission form, <
http://2013.iasa-web.org/presentation-submission-form>.

It is preferred that presentation proposals are submitted online. However,
if you do not have internet access and you would like to submit a
presentation or register for the conference, please contact the Secretary
General Lynn Johnson by landline at +27 21 481 4414 and fax at +27 21 481
4660.

Note: Accommodation, traveling and subsistence are the responsibility of
the presenters. All attendees, including presenters, are expected to
register and pay the registration fee.

If you require any further information or have questions, please contact
the Organising Committee and the conference administrator Bruce Gordon
through enquiries em iasa-conference.com.

--
carlos palombini
www.researcherid.com/rid/F-7345-2011