[ANPPOM-Lista] Edited Collection: “I am not what I once was”: Unbecoming Queer Narratives

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Seg Nov 17 13:39:32 BRST 2014

Posted on behalf of Dr. Paul Walker from Murray State University, the
deadline for proposals is December 1, 2014.
Submit Your Essays! Unbecoming Queer Narratives November 17, 2014
<http://www.critical-theory.com/submit-your-essays-unbecoming-queer-narratives/>

Edited Collection: “I am not what I once was”: Unbecoming Queer Narratives
*full name / name of organization:*
 Dr. Paul Walker, Dr. Josh Adair
  *contact email: *
 pwalker1 em murraystate.edu , jadair1 em murraystate.edu

This essay collection will focus upon the intersection of personal
narrative and conceptions of self constructed through the lens of queer
theory. In order for us to wriggle free of the shackles forged by the
modern construct of the individual imbued with an infallible facility for
self-sovereignty and an impervious, fixed identity, we must first
acknowledge the fluidity, illogicality, and unpredictability which
characterize most of our lived experiences. Subjectivity as outlined by
recent antisocial and affective work in queer theory may give the
impression of solidity, of inherence – but typically only because we’re
either not looking closely enough or because we are enculturated to perform
our subjectivity in ways which deny or overlook their incoherencies. It is
those incoherencies we hope to highlight and interrogate.

We are seeking essays which strike a balance between serious engagement
with queer theory and personal creative non-fiction. Our goal is to
assemble a collection of essays which examine a significant moment in the
life of the author or authors which highlights a time of crisis, trauma,
and/or transformation that underline the performative and free-form nature
of the subjectivities that shape our experience. We encourage innovative
and provocative topics and approaches which amplify the nature of the
experience under examination. Topics may include, but are not limited to,
the following:

Sexual fluidity
Gender fluidity
Professional/career shifts
Religious conversion
Religious apostasy
Racialization
Death
Illness
Education
Parenthood
Loss of ability
Geographical identity
Aging
Economic loss
Failure
Technological influences

Please send a 300 word proposal to Dr. Paul Walker (pwalker1 em murraystate.edu)
or Dr. Josh Adair (jadair1 em murraystate.edu) by December 1, 2014. Full
essays of 4000-5000 words will be due by March 15, 2015.
--
carlos palombini
professor de musicologia ufmg