[ANPPOM-Lista] Allen Forte, 1926-2014

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Qui Out 16 13:24:21 BRT 2014

It is with great sadness that I convey the news of Allen Forte's death, at
​ ​
his Hamden home, on October 16. A founding member and the first President
​ ​
of SMT, Forte was a model for our field--a widely influential adviser, a
​ ​
productive and agenda-setting scholar, and a tireless advocate for music
​ ​
theory and its practitioners. He was an extraordinary man. His passing is
​ ​
an occasion for us to reflect upon our heritage, and to renew his
commitment to passing it on.

Allen's wife, Madeleine, has released a short obituary:

Allen Forte, born on December 23 1926 in Portland, Oregon, passed
​ ​
peacefully  in his Connecticut home on  Thursday October 16 2014 at 8:00
​ ​
a.m. .During World War II he served in the American Navy from 1944 to 1946
​ ​
on the U.S.S. General Butner in the Pacific. Thanks to the G.I. bill he
attended Columbia University where he received his masters and doctorate
​ ​
and taught at Teachers College. He also taught at M.I.T., at Harvard
University, and at Yale University, where during forty-four and half years
​ ​
he advised seventy two Ph.D. students as Battell Professor of the Theory of
​ ​
Music and as a leading speculative music theorist.  He was the Founder and
​ ​
First President of the Society of Music Theory, and a Fellow of the
American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He received an Honorary Doctorate
​ ​
from the Eastman School of Music. He has earned critical acclaim with
​ ​
twelve scholarly books and one hundred articles. THE STRUCTURE OF ATONAL
​ ​
MUSIC ranks as one of the most important contributions to music theory in
​ ​
the twentieth century. His use of the computer as well as traditional means
​ ​
of analysis has led to fuller knowledge of musical structure and thereby
​ ​
enhanced both the understanding and the enjoyment of music. He is survived
​ ​
by his wife, concert pianist Madeleine Forte, her sons, and her
​ ​
grandchildren.

Information about memorial events will be forthcoming from the Yale
​ ​
University Department of Music.

--
carlos palombini