[ANPPOM-Lista] CFP: The Reel Thing, LA Aug. 2015

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Qua Jun 3 22:57:15 BRT 2015

We are pleased to announce a special 35th Edition of the ongoing technical
symposium, The Reel Thing, to take place in Los Angeles over the course of
three days, August 20 - 22, 2015, including an opening night reception and
screening on August 20. The event will take place at the Linwood Dunn
Theater in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Pickford Center
for Motion Picture Study, 1313 Vine St., in Hollywood.

As with all editions of The Reel Thing, we focus on the wide range of
critical issues facing archivists, technicians, asset managers and curators
of image and sound in the current media/digital landscape.  Problems and
solutions involving digital creation workflows (2K/4K/6K/8K), data storage
access and recovery, image scanning and recording, image resolution
metrics, traditional video and audio preservation and restoration issues
are topics of interest.  Of particular interest are the preservation and
archiving issues surrounding Digital Intermediate and Digital Production
workflows for motion pictures and television/streaming.  If you have been
working in these or related areas of interest, we invite you to propose a
presentation summarizing the technical, theoretical and practical facets of
your work.

Presentations consist of a brief analytic explanation of the project,
digital/film/video/audio examples, and a question and answer period.  We
ask that presenters focus on the nature of the work and its context,
including the rationale for selection of methods and tools (hardware and
software, photochemical / photomechanical and digital / analog), and to
provide substantial detail concerning these aspects of the work.  We
request A/B comparisons of the "before" and "after" states of the project
in order to have a meaningful discussion and evaluation of the results.
We're interested in facts and opinions concerning the present and future
prospects of the techniques, processes and equipment that are in use today,
or the near future.

Our objective is to expose our audience to the current thinking and most
advanced practical examples of progress in the field of preservation,
restoration and media conservation, and to create a common ground for
discussion and evaluation of methodologies so that informed decisions can
be made about when and how to deploy both traditional and emerging
technologies.
Link for other details, past programs and to submit proposals:

http://www.the-reel-thing.org/submit-your-proposal/

Grover Crisp
Michael Friend
Co-Organizers of The Reel Thing Technical Symposium

--
carlos palombini
professor de musicologia ufmg