[ANPPOM-Lista] 12 Essential Archives For Internet-Era Music Historians

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Dom Jun 7 07:49:46 BRT 2015

[image: The Record]Music News From NPR
<http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/>

Where do music historians go to find the sounds that shape the stories they
tell? There are some obvious places, like the Library of Congress,
whose National
Jukebox <http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/> offers more than ten thousand songs
from the dawn of the modern age, or the Internet Archive
<https://archive.org/>, which overwhelms with its vast array of material
and is especially rich for live recordings. Scholars also use the same
sites casual fans employ — YouTube and Spotify and good old Google can
yield riches to those who know how to focus a search.

Beyond these well-traveled areas lies a vast and generally unmapped terrain
governed by collectors, hobbyists, fan clubs, and artists themselves,
sharing gold that once could only be found through hours of prospecting in
library reading rooms or at record fairs. It takes time to find the islands
richest in resources. In conjunction with our overview of the state of
archival music online
<http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/03/411666224/digital-underground>,
we asked some of our favorite writers, all of whom have recently published
books on a wide range of historical subjects, to share their favorite spots
for pleasurable and informative archival listening.

http://goo.gl/5jkQJ9

--
carlos palombini
professor de musicologia ufmg