[ANPPOM-Lista] The evolution of popular music: USA 1960-2010.

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Ter Maio 19 21:11:02 BRT 2015

The evolution of popular music: USA 1960-2010.

http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/2/5/150081

The evolution of popular music: USA 1960–2010
Matthias Mauch, Robert M. MacCallum, Mark Levy, Armand M. Leroi
DOI: 10.1098/rsos.150081 Published 6 May 2015
Royal Society Open Science Publishing

Abstract

In modern societies, cultural change seems ceaseless. The flux of fashion
is especially obvious for popular music. While much has been written about
the origin and evolution of pop, most claims about its history are
anecdotal rather than scientific in nature. To rectify this, we investigate
the US Billboard Hot 100 between 1960 and 2010. Using music information
retrieval and text-mining tools, we analyse the musical properties of
approximately 17 000 recordings that appeared in the charts and demonstrate
quantitative trends in their harmonic and timbral properties. We then use
these properties to produce an audio-based classification of musical styles
and study the evolution of musical diversity and disparity, testing, and
rejecting, several classical theories of cultural change. Finally, we
investigate whether pop musical evolution has been gradual or punctuated.
We show that, although pop music has evolved continuously, it did so with
particular rapidity during three stylistic ‘revolutions’ around 1964, 1983
and 1991. We conclude by discussing how our study points the way to a
quantitative science of cultural change

--
carlos palombini
professor de musicologia ufmg