[ANPPOM-Lista] Call for submissions on feminist music theory (Music Theory Online)

Mario Videira m_videira em yahoo.com
Qui Fev 18 20:57:20 BRST 2016

Call for submissions: Music Theory Online seeks new research for a special half-issue or issue on feminist music theory. Authors are invited to submit articles of approximately 8,000-12,000 words on the topics listed below by March 15, 2016. Submissions will undergo the journal’s standard blind-review process.

Potential topics are:

(1) feminist critiques of music theory, its methodologies, and/or terminology (either contemporary or historical)

(2) new feminist methodologies for analysis, or expansions or alterations of previous ones

(3) feminist analyses or reinterpretations of works using existing paradigms

Some examples of the kind of scholarship we seek are (this is not a comprehensive list): - Suzanne Cusick, “Feminist Theory, Music Theory, and the Mind/Body Problem,”

Perspectives of New Music 32/1 (1994)
- Marion Guck, “A Woman’s (Theoretical) Work,” Perspectives of New Music 32/1 (1994)

- Marianne Kielian-Gilbert, “Of Poetics and Poiesis, Pleasure and Politics-Music Theory and Modes of the Feminine,” Perspectives of New Music 32/1 (1994)

- Fred Maus, “Masculine Discourse in Music Theory,” Perspectives of New Music 31/2 (1993)

More generally, we publish work that makes a new contribution to scholarship on music theory and/or analysis, situates its contribution within the current published research on the topic, and is well organized and clearly written. We encourage authors to take advantage of our multimedia capabilities to include audio, color graphics, animation, video, and hyperlinks.

Articles may be submitted via email to mto-editor[at]societymusictheory.org. Please consult our submission guidelines at http://www.mtosmt.org/docs/authors.html. Music Theory Online is the refereed open-access electronic journal of the Society for Music Theory.