[ANPPOM-Lista] 2nd Annual Synthposium: "Synthesizers: Meaning through Sonics"

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Seg Jun 13 11:42:30 BRT 2016

2nd Annual Synthposium

SAE Institute, Melbourne Australia Monday 14th of November 2016, 9am-9pm
Call for papers

Synthesizers: Meaning through Sonics

The synthesizer as an instrument has evolved rapidly over the last 50
years, conveying different meanings in musical culture at various times in
its history. Post- punk and new wave acts used synths to signify their
embrace of futurism and modernity. Earlier psychedelic bands sonically
represented mind expansion through synths while prog acts signposted their
lineage to the classical avant-garde. Techno artists used synths to escape
the strictures of acoustic music in parallel with rave culture’s desire for
escapism from the mundanity of daily existence. Today the synthesizer is
seemingly ubiquitous in modern pop music production.

At Synthposium we wish to explore how sonic meaning(s) is conveyed through
synthesizers. We welcome paper and poster presentations that address the
following:-

   -

   How has the synthesizer’s cultural role changed in different musical
   contexts over time?
   -

   Where does the synthesizer sit amongst modern instrument choice options?
   -

   Is the synthesizer now another instrument in a broad palette or does it
   retain

   a unique qualitative character?
   -

   Has electronic music come to an end as an autonomous domain of musical

   practice?

   In addition to the above questions, we welcome papers which explore any
   other issues relating to the use of synthesizers in music production,
   composition and performance. Let’s step away from nerdy discussion of VST
   design and look at the bigger circuit board at Synthposium.

   Key Dates

   -

   Paper presentation submissions should be abstracted to 200 words and
   poster presentations outlines abstracted to 150 words.
   -

   Submit abstracts in PDF format to n.wilson em sae.edu by 31st of July 2016.

   Attendance Cost

   $40 full day access inc. paper and poster presentation $20 full day
   concession
   $10 evening workshops and jam session

--
carlos palombini, ph.d. (dunelm)