[ANPPOM-Lista] september issue of black grooves

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Qui Set 1 15:18:59 BRT 2016

The September 2016 issue of Black Grooves, sponsored by the Indiana
University Archives of African American Music and Culture<
https://aaamc.indiana.edu/>, is now available at www.blackgrooves.org<
http://www.blackgrooves.org>.

This month we're featuring a wide variety of new jazz releases, including
violinist Scott Tixier's Cosmic Adventure<http://blackgrooves.
org/scott-tixier-cosmic-adventure/>, vocalist Catherine Russell's Harlem On
My Mind<http://blackgrooves.org/catherine-russell-harlem-on-my-mind/>,
drummer Will Calhoun's Celebrating Elvin Jones<http://blackgrooves.org/
will-calhoun-celebrating-elvin-jones/>, trumpeter Marquis Hill's The Way We
Play<http://blackgrooves.org/marquis-hill-the-way-we-play/>, Allen
Toussaint's tribute to jazz and New Orleans R&B greats on the posthumous
album American Tunes<http://blackgrooves.org/allen-toussaint-american-tunes/>,
British jazz/funk band Incognito's In Search of Better Days<
http://blackgrooves.org/incognito-in-search-of-better-days/>, Bob Baldwin's
double album The Brazilian-American Soundtrack<http://
blackgrooves.org/bob-baldwin-brazilian-american-soundtrack/>, and the
Austin-based band Hard Proof's Public Hi-Fi Sessions <
http://blackgrooves.org/hard-proof-public-hi-fi-sessions-03/> that fuses
Afrobeat, funk, and jazz.

Under classical music, we're featuring South African coloratura Pretty
Yende's debut album Journey<http://blackgrooves.org/pretty-yende-a-journey/>.
New blues and R&B releases include the Mike Wheeler Band's Turn Up!!<
http://blackgrooves.org/mike-wheeler-band-turn-up/>, Macy Gray's Stripped<
http://blackgrooves.org/macy-gray-stripped/>, Vaneese Thomas' genre
blending album Long Journey Home<http://blackgrooves.org/
vaneese-thomas-the-long-journey-home/>,  and Atlanta singer-songwriter
Anthony David's The Powerful Now<http://blackgrooves.org/
anthony-david-the-powerful-now/>. Michael Franti & Spearhead's summer
release, SoulRocker<http://blackgrooves.org/michael-
franti-spearhead-soulrocker/>, showcases their socially conscious pop and
hip hop-infused reggae. New DVD/Blu-ray releases include three Robert Mugge
Films<http://blackgrooves.org/three-robert-mugge-films-
celebrate-louisiana-music/> celebrating Louisiana music, with an emphasis
on Zydeco.

Tying in with the back-to-school theme is Numero Group's compilation
Afterschool Special: The 123s of Kid Soul<http://blackgrooves.org/
afterschool-special-the-123s-of-kid-soul/>. Also featured is Jimi Hendrix
and the Band of Gypsy's Machine Gun: Live at Fillmore East 9/30/16 <
http://blackgrooves.org/jimi-hendrix-machine-gun-the-
fillmore-east-first-show-123169/> (the first official release of their
unedited first set), plus the first release on CD of the Isley Brothers'
"lost live album" from 1980, Groove With You...Live!<http://
blackgrooves.org/isley-brothers-groove-with-you/>

Wrapping up this issue is our list of August 2016 Releases of Note.<
http://blackgrooves.org/august-2016-releases-of-note/>

Note: we're seeking guest reviews for the fall semester - if you're
interested please send an email to me at bnelsons em indiana.edu<mailto:bn
elsons em indiana.edu> and let me know which genres are of interest.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss
Editor, Black Grooves
Archives of African American Music & Culture
Indiana University
2805 E. 10th Street, Suite 180
Bloomington, IN 47408
www.blackgrooves.org