[ANPPOM-Lista] The Academia.edu Editor Program

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Qui Set 15 18:52:57 BRT 2016

What is it?

The goal of the editor program is for academics to recommend articles that
they have read and found interesting.

The criteria to be an editor on Academia.edu are: have a doctorate or
professorship in the field; have some experience publishing papers; have
some experience peer reviewing papers.

Once one is an editor, one has access to a special button: ‘Recommend’. One
is able to recommend on Academia.edu an article that one has found
interesting.

The picture is that someone in a given field might be pursuing a new line
of research, and in the course of doing so, might come across a paper that
they think is good. If they would feel comfortable recommending this paper
to other people in the field, they are able to enter the link on
Academia.edu and click ‘Recommend’.

When an article is recommended, it is sent out to the micro-communities
associated with the paper - say DNA analysis, or moral luck. Seven days
later we send an email to the editor explaining how many people clicked on
the recommendation.

Our intention is that the editor program moulds itself around the research
lives of academics. Editors exclusively recommend articles that they have
come across themselves. Academia.edu does not send articles to editors to
read, nor are editors responsible for particular sub-fields of
Academia.edu. The purpose of editors recommending articles is that other
people in the fields of those articles may benefit.

The expectation is that an editor will recommend between two and ten
articles a month. The average so far is about four. We realize that there
will be some months when an editor recommends very little, and some months
when there is a flurry of activity.

Initially a small number of people are being invited to the editor program.
Over the next 6-12 months, we plan to expand the editor program to include
everyone in the field. Recommendations from a broader base will be more
fruitful than recommendations from a narrower base.
------------------------------
Editor Program FAQ
Does a paper have to be on Academia.edu for me to recommend it?No: if the
paper is not on Academia.edu, you can enter a link to the paper on the
Recommend page, and click ‘Recommend’. The link can be to a copy of the
paper on a personal homepage, or the Springer/Wiley/Elsevier version.
What kinds of articles can I recommend?You can recommend any articles or
books that you have read and found interesting. That includes a ten year
old article that may deserve more attention than it got; a newly published
article; or a manuscript that someone has uploaded. It can also include a
book: just enter the link to the publisher page for the book.
Are recommendations public?Yes: an editor’s name is attached to to the
paper they recommend.

Can I add a comment to a recommendation?Yes, you can add an optional
comment. You can explain why you liked the paper, or add a caveat to the
recommendation. You can add whatever context you like.

Do I have to have read the paper I recommend?To recommend a paper, you have
to confirm you have read the paper, and that the paper is a worthwhile
contribution to the literature.

What measures are there to stop someone from trying to abuse the
system?Recommendations
are public, so if one person were exclusively to recommend someone who
recommended their own work, that may be embarrassing for them. There is
always abuse, though, in any system, and we will monitor how the program
evolves, and consider ways of preventing abuse that does occur.

Can anyone in the field be an editor?Over the course of the next 12 months,
we want to enable everyone in the field to be an editor. Recommendations
will be more democratic that way.

What are the criteria to be an editor?Editors are required to have a
doctorate or professorship in the field; some experience publishing papers
in peer reviewed journals; and some experience peer reviewing papers.

Can I apply to be an editor?Yes; please email editor-program em academia.edu
<%20editor-program em academia.edu>

I have another questionPlease email editor-program em academia.edu
<%20editor-program em academia.edu>

--
carlos palombini, ph.d. (dunelm)
professor de musicologia ufmg