[ANPPOM-Lista] CFP: Music and Musicology in the Age of Post-Truth

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Sáb Fev 10 21:11:06 BRST 2018

Music and Musicology in the Age of Post-Truth
7-8 September 2018
University College Dublin

In recent months alternative facts, fake news and similar terms have become
more and more commonplace among politicians, media and other public
influencers alike in what is now often called the age of post-truth.
Expertise appears to be discredited, gut feeling at least as important as
facts, and facts themselves no longer valid and reliable. Often
postmodernism and poststructuralism are blamed for the rise of a relativism
that lies at the heart of post-truth attitudes. But is this really the
case? And how should an academic subject such as musicology react to this
development?

Given the impact that postmodernism and post-structuralism have had on our
​ ​
disciplinary development, do we as academics in general and musicologists
in particular have a special responsibility to engage productively with
this challenge –
​ ​
as researchers, educators and last but not least as citizens? Are there
potential music-specific reactions to the post-truther’s mindset? How can /
should we adjust our teaching in this environment?  And what role does
music / do musicians play in the new “culture war” that we now find
ourselves in? How is music utilised by either side? Are there differences
in the responses from within popular, traditional and art music (and their
respective musicologies)? Is our task as academics to neutrally analyse and
describe developments, or rather to try and actively influence them through
research, teaching and as public intellectuals – and if so, how?

This conference, jointly hosted by the UCD School of Music and the UCD
Humanities Institute, and supported by the Society for Musicology in
Ireland, the Irish chapter of the International Council for Traditional
Music, and the International Association for the Study of Popular Music (UK
and Ireland) will investigate these and similar questions. We invite
proposals for papers of twenty minutes’ duration to be followed by ten
minutes of discussion.

Please submit abstracts of up to 250 words, together with a CV of up to 150
words, your contact details and the technical requirements of your
presentation in a single, word-compatible file by Friday, 9 March 2018 to
wolfgang.marx em ucd.ie. We also invite proposals for themed sessions; in this
case there ought to be an additional abstract of 150 words outlining the
rationale behind the session. We aim to notify participants within four
weeks after the deadline.

Conference Committee

Wolfgang Marx (University College Dublin)
Siobhán Donovan (University College Dublin)
Anne Fuchs (University College Dublin)
John Millar (University College Dublin)
Lonán Ó Briain (University of Nottingham)
Caroline O'Sullivan (Dublin Institute of Technology) Timothy Summers
(University College Dublin)

https://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Post-Truth%20Call%20for%20Papers.pdf