[ANPPOM-Lista] CFP Sonic Waves: Music and Sound Beyond Borders, Manchester, 8 May 2019

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Sex Fev 8 19:27:31 -02 2019

Sonic Waves: Music and Sound Beyond Borders

Date: Wednesday 8th May 2019
Time: 10am – 5:30pm
Location: Geoffrey Manton, Manchester Met
Tickets: TBA

Call for Participation

We are a group of multidisciplinary researchers exploring the musical beats
and sonic streets of Manchester and beyond. For this symposium we want to
bring together academics, researchers, practitioners, students and
community organisations interested in exploring how music, sound and the
sonic can be used to transcend boundaries and move beyond borders. At a
time of global uncertainties from climate change and conflict zones, to
national and international political upheaval, we question if music and the
sonic can narrate and negate these changes and shift our understanding of
core and peripheral preoccupations. We encourage submissions along the
following themes, covering popular music and sonic engagements:

* music and education

* sound vs. sonic studies

* environments and auditory cultures

* empowerment and sound

* participation / voice

* activism & social movements

* music and fandom

* race, ethnicity and voice

* gender and conflict

* refugees / migrants / nomads

* space and place

* sound art

We especially welcome contributions that speak to the above themes on the
gothic, electronic, synthesis, punk/post-punk, and avant-garde.

Call Closes 8th March, 2019

Email a 250-word abstract plus short biography to musicandsonic em gmail.com

For all other enquiries please contact Dr Susan O’Shea:
susan.oshea em mmu.ac.uk

Hosted by Music and Sonic Studies, Manchester Met (MASSmcr)

In association with Sonic Cultures, University of Manchester

MASSmcr steering group: Dr Susan O’Shea, Dr Beate Peter, Dr Matthew Foley
and Dr Julian Holloway

https://www2.mmu.ac.uk/artshumanities/rah/events/detail/index.php

--
carlos palombini, ph.d. (dunelm)