[ANPPOM-Lista] Countercultures: Utopias, Dystopias, Anarchy

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Qui Jun 20 05:05:28 BRT 2013

*Please forgive us for crossposting… Link to unsubscribe to this mailing
list (3 mails per year) at the end of this mail.*

*Out now!*
*
*
*Volume ! n°9-2, Sheila Whiteley (ed.), "Countercultures: Utopias,
Dystopias, Anarchy"*
*+ "Metal Studies" book reviews section*

This second issue of *Volume!* deals with the sixties counterculture's
its *modernist
and utopian aspects*, as well as its *dystopian and apocalyptic* ones, with
*Charles Manson*'s shadow and the ambivalent *Jesus Movement*. We then
examine the era's musical *experimentations*, with the "*freak*"
movement, *sonic
anarchy*, the *Grateful Dead*'s improvizations and *Yoko Ono*'s voice.

A big "*metal studies*" section assesses this "discipline's" recent
contribution to the analysis of popular music.
An English version of both "countercultures" issues will be published by *
Ashgate*: Sheila Whiteley and Jedediah Sklower (eds.), Countercultures and
Popular Music, May 2014.

*Table of contents*, online version:

http://www.cairn.info/revue-volume-2012-2.htm

*Order the paper version* of the issue here:

http://www.irma.asso.fr/Volume-La-revue-des-musiques,11064

*Volume! is an independent peer-reviewed journal - We need your support!
Subscribe!*

http://volume.revues.org/1643

In this issue, there is also a big "*metal studies*" book reviews section,
with an article on black metal harmony, a presentation of the International
Society for Metal Music Studies and 17 book reviews (everything but the
article can be bought for 7 euros online).

*Coming: *

*Volume !* n° 10-1, Antoine Hennion & Jedediah Sklower (eds.),
"Audiologies, listening to popular music", November 2013.

We are currently starting the editorial process for the publication of the
proceeds of the "*Changing the Tune: popular music and politics in the
XXIst century" Strasbourg international
conference*(Volume!/IASPM-bfe/ASPM/SEARCH).

More info on the conference:

volume.revues.org/3444

Best,
Volume !

--
carlos palombini
pesquisador visitante, centro de letras e artes, unirio