[ANPPOM-Lista] Announcement: AMS Forum now open

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Ter Nov 7 09:51:43 BRST 2017

Greetings,

The Communications Committee of the American Musicological Society is
pleased to announce the launch of the *AMS Forum*, a new web-based platform
for online discussion. While the venerable AMS-L has served us well, we
feel its 1990s-era Listserv technology has become cumbersome and less
useful to most of the membership.

While at first the Forum and AMS-L will coexist, the AMS plans to phase out
AMS-L and close it one year from now. AMS-L archives will remain available
for members to consult. As with AMS-L, participation will not be limited to
members of the AMS.

The Forum is part of the broader *Humanities Commons* (HC), an online
community that is strong and full-featured. Established by the Modern
Language Association, it hosts several academic societies in addition to
the MLA, along with numerous less formally participating societies and
working groups like the AMS. Joining the HC site will give our members
access to capabilities beyond the Forum itself, including creating
individual academic profiles (searchable by research interests) and a
repository for open-access publication (the Common Open Repository
Exchange, or CORE). These functions resemble the for-profit offerings of
such sites as Academia.edu, but in an open-access, non-profit environment
overseen by academics themselves. The goal of HC is to increase interchange
among humanistic disciplines, and we believe its offerings are impressive
and will be attractive to members. It promises to have staying power and
the administrative support needed to make it useful for all those
interested in the humanities.

*To join the Forum* (and the other functions at HC), follow the
instructions given at the *Forum Web site, www.ams-net.org/forum
<http://www.ams-net.org/forum/>.*

You will be asked to register for the site and sign up for our "Group."
(Administrators will quickly approve your request.) You can set "email
options" to your desired frequency (ranging from none at all to individual
emails to daily summaries to weekly summaries)

If you have any issues signing up, please contact the group administrators:
forum-admin -at- ams-net.org.

Posts to the Forum will not be monitored before appearing, but the Forum
does have some simple guidelines for use (*see the web page*
<http://www.ams-net.org/forum/>) that all participants are asked to follow.
Users may notify the Forum moderator (forum-admin -at- ams-net.org) of any
posts that appear to violate those guidelines. Noncompliant posts will be
removed promptly. Until a regular moderator can be appointed, I will serve
in that capacity.

We on the Communications Committee are very excited about this new format
for discussion and exchange, and we hope you will explore it and give it a
try.

Sincerely,

Roger Freitas

Chair, AMS Communications Committee