[ANPPOM-Lista] Call for Abstracts: Sound and Senses, Vol 9, No 1 (2019)

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Qui Ago 9 16:11:42 BRT 2018

Call for Abstracts: Sound and Senses, Vol 9, No 1 (2019)

We hear and listen using our auditory sense. However, it has been
acknowledged within several disciplines from neuroscience to humanistic
approaches that our sensory system is not isolated in single senses but is
working as an ensemble. Especially the close relation between hearing and
touching – the auditory and the haptic sense – has been of growing
interdisciplinary interest within the last decade from different
perspectives: sound studies, affect studies, perception and cognitive
science as well as psychology and neuroscience. With this special issue on
Sound and Senseswe would like to invite research within the frame of the
journal’s general aim of taking a humanity-based approach to sound and
sound experience.

SoundEffects wants with this special issue to address matters that have to
do with sound in relation to the senses – perceptually, socially,
culturally, and technologically. The issue reflects on ways in which sound
in different mediated forms interferes and works with multiple of our
senses in order to affect us. Within Sound Studies as well as Media Studies
audio is often opposed and compared to vision. With this issue we would
like to follow but also augment the sensory approach for instance by
discussing how sound is able to establish telepresense(cf. Senft, 2008) or
flow(cf. Csikszentmihalyi). Recent years we have also seen a surge in
mediated auditory experiences intrinsically linked with other senses, and
afforded by technologies like VR (virtural reality) and binaural
microphones – the popularity of ASMR-videos (Autonomous Sensory Meridian
Response) on YouTube is an example of that.

We thus wish to broaden the perspective towards other senses, not at least
experiences related to haptic and synesthetic experiences, as we find it
within affect studies, sound therapy and sensory studies. Finally, we would
also like to include broader perspectives related to power structures,
hierarchies, mediatization, and metaphorical use of the senses to describe
the human relation towards the cultural and social environment.

We are therefore interested in contributions that focus on both the
theoretical, methodological, and applied perspectives for sound research in
relation to sensory concepts. We welcome papers and essays that address and
interrogate, but are not limited to, the following areas:

Synesthesia studies
Affect and emotion studies
Sensory studies
Music and emotion
Acoustemology
Sound design
Film and sound studies

Important deadlines:

Abstract deadline (300 words): August 13, 2018

Decision regarding the abstracts: August 31, 2018

Article deadline (depending on a positive review of the abstract): October
31, 2018

Published: February 2019

Please send your abstract to: hbk em cc.au.dk

https://www.soundeffects.dk/soundeffects/announcement/view/627

--
carlos palombini, ph.d. (dunelm)
professor de musicologia ufmg