[ANPPOM-Lista] echo: a music-centered journal 10 (1), 2012

Carlos Palombini cpalombini em gmail.com
Qua Nov 14 15:25:04 BRST 2012

*Echo: A Music-Centered Journal* is an interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed
journal created and edited by graduate students in the Department of
Musicology at the University of California, Los Angeles. Since our first
issue in Fall 1999, we have published biannually and welcome submissions
and project proposals throughout the year. Echo is an entirely Web-based
journal, and can be accessed free of charge by any online visitor.

*Echo*’s purpose is to create a forum for discussion about music and
culture that includes voices from diverse backgrounds. To that end, we
endeavor to make all work accessible to readers without formal musical
training; the use of sound and film clips in our journal enables writers to
discuss nuances of performance without relying solely on music notation.
Articles address music in diverse social contexts, and are not confined to
any geographically, historically, or methodologically bounded genre.

Our design philosophy is to present articles in an attractive and visually
stimulating layout that complements the ideas and subject matter discussed
in the text. There are limitations to this practice, however, as reading
text on a computer screen, no matter how intelligent the layout, is a very
different experience than reading on paper. As a compromise, Echo creates
full-text printer-friendly versions of all articles and review essays as
Acrobat PDFs.

We are supported by an advisory board of distinguished scholars from many
disciplines, and we consult the expertise of the Center for Digital
Humanities on a range of issues. Grants from the Graduate Students
Association at UCLA make our work possible.
  Current Issue

   - Volume 10, Issue 1 (Spring 2012)
      -
   - Articles
      - Jennifer Cable - How a thrown shooe became a tragedy and other
      funny stories: a study of the Three Burlesque Cantatas (1741) by Henry
      Carey (1689-1743)<http://www.echo.ucla.edu/content/articles/10-1-cable>
      -
      - Kip Pegley - Music and Memorializaton at the Canadian War
Museum<http://www.echo.ucla.edu/content/articles/10-1-pegley>
      -
   - Reviews
      - Carlos Palombini - *I'm Ugly But Trendy*, directed by Denise
Garcia<http://www.echo.ucla.edu/content/reviews/10-1-palombini>
      -
      - Mark Van Tongeren - *Thresholds: Rethinking Spirituality Through
      Music*, by Marcel
Cobussen<http://www.echo.ucla.edu/content/reviews/10-1-tongeren>
      -
   - Contributors <http://www.echo.ucla.edu/content/10-1-contributors>